Bishkek - Naryn - Torugart
Bishkek-Naryn-Torugart Road Rehabilitation Project
Total length: 539km.
Implementation period: 2010-2015
Bishkek-Naryn-Torugart road is one of the main transport routes of Kyrgyz Republic and the part of "Europe-East Asia" CAREC Transport Corridor. The road links three oblasts of the country - Chui, Naryn and Issyk-Kul and provides transit traffic through the territory of Kyrgyzstan in the north-south direction from China-from the "Torugart" border checkpoint in the south to the settlement "Kordai" in the north. The road is the mostsignificant of the two major highways linking Kyrgyzstan and China, where, through the Kara-Kum highway, it provides access to the Pakistan and the Indian Ocean ports and also allows Russia and Kazakhstan to get to these ports.
Considering Bishkek-Naryn-Torugart Road, it should be noted that it along with Osh-Sarytash-Irkeshtam Road, forms main scope of budget revenues in the form customs duties levied on freighting and transit freight transport travelling.
Bishkek-Naryn-Torugart was constructed about 60 years ago, and over the last 20 years was operated without capital repair. In recent years, in view of the activation of Kyrgyz-China trade-economic relations, its importance significantly has increased, but it caused more deterioration of pavement. Updating of highway is very essential.
The project stipulates the high way rehabilitation with laying new asphalt concrete pavement on the whole length, as well as repair of associated structures. On the separate sections widening of road bed is stipulated. Section km 9 - km 82 will comply with the 1-st technical category; section from km 82 to km 147 will comply with the 2-nd category; from km 147 to km 539 will comply with the 3-rd category. In Boom gorge whole road reconstruction will be carried out, length of 45 km with 4-lane carriage way, from km 103 to km 148.
Under the project four Agreements were signed.
1. The Agreement between the Government of Kyrgyz Republic and Exim Bank of China on allocation of loan to finance the road section from 9 to 272 km dated October 15, 2009.
2. The Grant Agreement between the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic and Asian Development Bank to finance the road section from 400 to 439 km.
3. The Financial Agreement between the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic and Asian Development Bank dated August 5, 2009. At the expense of these funds, the road section from km 365 to km 400 and from km 439 to km 470 will be rehabilitated.
4. The Loan Agreement between the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic and Arab Coordination Group on financing a part of the works at the section from 272 to 365 km.
5. The Loan Agreement between the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic and Asian Development Bank on financing the section from 479 to 539 km.